Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a "wow" recipe that I created last night. I had been wanting to try Andouille sausage and finally found it at a local grocery. It gives this dish just the right "kick" to spice up your dinner, though feel free to add some red pepper flakes if you really like it hot! My husband took one bite and said "you have got to write this recipe down"!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (I used Johnsville brand )
- 1 (22 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute peppers and onion in the olive oil.
- Once the vegetables are "crisp tender", add the garlic and sausage, sauteing for 1 minute, being careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the diced tomatoes.
- Whisk the tomato paste and water together and add to the skillet.
- Add all the spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer covered, for 20 minutes, uncover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve tossed with cooked pasta or rice.