Suzanne Goin serves this delicious dish at her acclaimed LA restaurant, AOC. The kale is the kale is cooked slowly until it caramelizes for an incredibly rich color and depth of flavour. Cavolo Nero is also known as black kale, dinosaur kale or laciniato. Recipe was printed in the LA TImes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 bunches cavolo nero or 4 bunches tuscan kale, stemmed and cleaned
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 sprig rosemary
- 1 dried arbol chile (this is a red chile, use cayenne pepper if you can't find the chile)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided, more as needed
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth (optional) or 2 tablespoons water (optional)
- 1Blanch the cavolo nero in a large pot of salted, boiling water just until softened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the cavolo nero and immediately place it in a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain again and set aside.
- 2In a large, heavy-bottom saucepan heated over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onions, rosemary and chile de árbol. Gently sauté for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt. Continue to cook until the onions are transparent and just beginning to color, an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3Stir the cavolo nero into the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 30 to 40 minutes. As it cooks, the cavolo nero will turn a deep dark green, almost black color, and the texture will go from soft to almost a little crisp from caramelizing on the bottom of the pan. This is good and will enhance the flavor. If the cavolo nero becomes too dry, add a little stock or water to moisten the bottom of the pan. Season with the remaining one-fourth teaspoon salt and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aoc's Long Cooked Cavolo Nero (Tuscan Kale)
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.1
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 194.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: