Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Yummy and versatile classic- serve immediately, store in fridge, freeze or give as a gift! 2 cups is enough for one pound of pasta.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 (35 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In 8-quart Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, do not brown.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, the salt and red pepper.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally and crushing tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- For a smooth traditional texture, press tomato mixture through a food mill into a large bowl.
- Or leave the sauce as is for a hearty and chunky texture.
- Serve with pasta, such as fusilli or penne.
- Cool sauce slightly then spoon into jars or freezer proof containers.
- Store in refrigerator for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- You can also can this for yourself or to give as a beautiful and tasty gift along with some dry pasta.