Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
The original concept came from one of Paula Deen's recipes, but with all the changes and additions it's now mine :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, reconstituted and sliced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan cook ground beef, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic until beef no longer pink.
- Drain well.
- In a Dutch oven, combine meat mixture, tomatoes and all seasonings.
- Bring mixture to boil (if too thick add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water), stirring occasionally; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 13x9 baking dish with veggie spray.
- Spoon 1/3 of the sauce mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top with 1/2 of the pasta, then 1/3 of the cheeses.
- Repeat layers, ending with the sauce and reserving remaining 1/3 of cheese.
- Bake uncovered, 45 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheeses and bake another 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes efore cutting into squares to serve.