Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Aurora sauce is a combination of bechamel, cream and tomato puree. My boys love this simple, quick dish.
- Make bechamel sauce using 6 tablespoons butter, flour and milk.
- (Melt butter, add flour and cook until bubbly, then add milk and whisk until thickened).
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain, mix well with sauce and 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Turn into buttered oven dish.
- Mix remaining cheese with breadcrumbs.
- Top casserole with this mixture, then dot with remaining butter.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
Really loved this dish, I used whole grain penne and mixed in a handful of spinach before baking to make it a tad healthier. Delicious and quick meal!
This was delish, tho I followed a couple of reviewer's advice, and added a good pinch of crushed red peppers to the sauce, and a fair sprinkling of mozzarella right underneath the breadcrumb/parm topping. I think next time I would add a little basil too! Wonderful, and will be served as a side dish again! Thanks for sharing, mary winecoff.
We really enjoyed this as a side dish to chicken parmesan today. I have heard of this type of sauce, but never eaten or made it. We love tomato pasta sauce and alfredo sauce and the combination of the flavors together was very nice! I think, as another reviewer suggested, I would like to top it off with mozzarella cheese next time--that would be delicious! Thanks for posting, mary.