Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a salad-ified version of a chicken pasta dish I had once at Cheesecake Factory. It is both hearty and light, and rich with complex flavors. The basil adds a pesto-like element to the ensemble, and the dijon in the dressing (modified from Mille® ™'s Dijon Paremsan Dressing, Dijon Parmesan Salad Dressing) brings out the peppery taste of the arugula. Because prosciutto is rather salty, be stingy with salt on this. The prosciutto should offer just the right amount.
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced and cut into 1 cm wide ribbons
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour (approximate amount, use only what's necessary)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vinegar, any kind
- 8 -10 melba toast, crumbled, any flavor
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sear strips of prosciutto until just crisp and fat has cooked away (about 1 minute on each side). It's very thin, so don't let it burn. Also, it has considerably less fat than bacon, so it might stick to the pan a bit. That's fine. Place seared strips on separate plate to cool.
- In the same pan, melt butter. Increase heat to medium-high and add lightly floured and peppered chicken breasts to pan. Cook 6 minutes (3 minutes on each side), adding the garlic during the last 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooking wine. Cook 8-10 minutes (4-5 minutes on each side), until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. if garlic starts to burn, reduce heat to medium. Remove breasts from pan and slice into strips.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together olive oil, parmesan cheese, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and vinegar (thanks again to Mille® ™ for the original recipe on which this is based). Rinse and toss your basil and arugula leaves during this time as well.
- Place a good handful of basil and arugula leaves into each bowl. Top with chicken and prosciutto strips, salad dressing to taste, and crumbled melba toast pieces.
- Makes 2-4 servings.