This is the sauce I use in my lasagna recipe, along with bolognese sauce. It's from the local paper, but considered one of the classic mother sauces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set 4 QT saucepan over medium heat, add butter, onion, pepper, cloves, bay leaves,.
- 2and garlic. Sautee until aromatic, about 4 minutes.
- 3Blend in the flour and stir about 3 minutes.
- 4Gradually add the milk and stir until it boils lightly (may need to increase to Med-High heat).
- 5Once boils, lower heat and simmer uncovered about 8 minutes, or until sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon and has no raw flour taste.
- 6Pour through a fine strainer, stirring and pressing to extract all the flavors. Stir in the cream, salt (add to taste, may not need the entire TSP) and finally the thyme.
- 7Use immediately.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bechamel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.5
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 413.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g