1/1 Photo of Beef Braised in Teroldego Wine
3 hrs 30 mins
Fitness Guru's Note:
I found this recipe in an Italian magazine. I doubled the recipe and froze half and served the other. It was FANTASTIC!!! I could not find the wine they suggested so I used a bold, Italian red. I followed the rest of the recipe exactly. If you need to impress company with your culinary talents, this recipe will do the trick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -3 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 4 juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups red wine, preferably teroldego rotaliano
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces unsmoked bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1Place meat, anise seeds, juniper berries and bay leaf in a large bowl; pour wine over the top. Marinate, refrigerated, turning occasionally, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2Remove meat from marinade; pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Dust with flour. Strain marinade into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids.
- 3Heat oil in a wide 4- to 5-quart pot over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown meat on all sides, about 10 minutes total, reducing heat if necessary to prevent scorching. Transfer meat to a plate and drain excess oil from pot.
- 4Return pot to medium-high heat. Add unsmoked bacon, onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add reserved marinade, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Stir in vegetable broth, water and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer, then return meat and any accumulated juices to pot. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- 5Transfer meat to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes, then cut across the grain into ½-inch pieces.
- 6Purée half of sauce, then return to pot. Return meat to sauce. Gently reheat before serving.
- 7Note: Beef improves in flavor if made 3 days ahead. Cool completely in sauce, uncovered, then chill in sauce, covered. Reheat, covered, in a preheated 350° oven until hot, 25 to 30 minutes, then slice meat.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Braised in Teroldego Wine
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.5
- Calories from Fat 498
- Total Fat 55.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 166.1 mg
- Sodium 305.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 44.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: