1/1 Photo of Beef Braised in Teroldego Wine
3 hrs 30 mins
Fitness Guru's Note:
I found this recipe in an Italian magazine. I doubled the recipe and froze half and served the other. It was FANTASTIC!!! I could not find the wine they suggested so I used a bold, Italian red. I followed the rest of the recipe exactly. If you need to impress company with your culinary talents, this recipe will do the trick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -3 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 4 juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups red wine, preferably teroldego rotaliano
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces unsmoked bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1Place meat, anise seeds, juniper berries and bay leaf in a large bowl; pour wine over the top. Marinate, refrigerated, turning occasionally, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2Remove meat from marinade; pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Dust with flour. Strain marinade into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids.
- 3Heat oil in a wide 4- to 5-quart pot over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown meat on all sides, about 10 minutes total, reducing heat if necessary to prevent scorching. Transfer meat to a plate and drain excess oil from pot.
- 4Return pot to medium-high heat. Add unsmoked bacon, onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add reserved marinade, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Stir in vegetable broth, water and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer, then return meat and any accumulated juices to pot. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- 5Transfer meat to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes, then cut across the grain into ½-inch pieces.
- 6Purée half of sauce, then return to pot. Return meat to sauce. Gently reheat before serving.
- 7Note: Beef improves in flavor if made 3 days ahead. Cool completely in sauce, uncovered, then chill in sauce, covered. Reheat, covered, in a preheated 350° oven until hot, 25 to 30 minutes, then slice meat.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Braised in Teroldego Wine
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.5
- Calories from Fat 498
- Total Fat 55.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 166.1 mg
- Sodium 305.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 44.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: