I got this recipe from one of my Mom's cookbooks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta or 1 lb mafaldine pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat.
- 2Add bacon; sauté until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.
- 3Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and thyme; sauté 5 minutes.
- 4Add beef and pork; sauté until brown and cooked through, breaking up meat with back of fork, about 10 minutes.
- 5Add wine and bay leaves.
- 6Simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- 7Add broth and tomato puree.
- 8Reduce heat to medium low; simmer until sauce thickens, stirring often, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Boil pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring often.
- 12Transfer to pot with sauce; toss.
- 13Serve with Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bolognese
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1326.0
- Calories from Fat 568
- Total Fat 63.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 193.5 mg
- Sodium 1846.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 74.0 g