Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from one of my Mom's cookbooks.
Make and share this Bolognese recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta or 1 lb mafaldine pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat.
- Add bacon; sauté until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and thyme; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add beef and pork; sauté until brown and cooked through, breaking up meat with back of fork, about 10 minutes.
- Add wine and bay leaves.
- Simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and tomato puree.
- Reduce heat to medium low; simmer until sauce thickens, stirring often, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Boil pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring often.
- Transfer to pot with sauce; toss.
- Serve with Parmesan.
Great, recipe. Simple, easy to make and has a nice fresh flavour that will give you a break from your standard meat sauce. Everyone that I have made this for likes this sauce.
Bolognes,I thougt this recipe was very good,it was a really good red sauce for frozen noodles,we really liked this a lot.I didn't know what papardelle pasta was,nor mafaldine either,so I used some frozen reames noodles.It was yummy.Thanks so much,Darlene