I cut this recipe out of the newspaper years ago. It is TERRIFIC, and I have never seen this recipe anywhere else.
- 2 lbs thinly sliced round steaks
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (or REAL bacon bits)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- Place steaks between waxed paper or plastic wrap- pound until very thin.
- Cut steaks into serving size pieces (about 8), or you can roll the whole thing and tie with string (That's how I do it!) Combine garlic, crumbs, egg, bacon, 1 1/2 tsp oregano, cheese, parsley flakes, 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 teaspoons pepper, 1 tbs. olive oil.
- Spoon equal amounts of this mixture on steaks.
- Roll steak and tie with string, or secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in skillet and brown rolls.
- Transfer to oven proof casserole.
- Add tomatoes, onion powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- Simmer, covered (or bake in 350 degree oven) for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add water if necessary- Add wine and cook another 10 minute.
- Serve with pasta.