I cut this recipe out of the newspaper years ago. It is TERRIFIC, and I have never seen this recipe anywhere else.
- 907.18 g thinly sliced round steaks
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 118.29 ml soft breadcrumbs
- 6 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled (or REAL bacon bits)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 12.32 ml oregano leaves, divided
- 14.79 ml parmesan cheese
- 7.39 ml parsley flakes
- 4.92 ml salt, divided
- 1.23 ml pepper, divided
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 (907.18 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 9.85 ml onion powder
- 59.14 ml dry red wine
- Place steaks between waxed paper or plastic wrap- pound until very thin.
- Cut steaks into serving size pieces (about 8), or you can roll the whole thing and tie with string (That's how I do it!) Combine garlic, crumbs, egg, bacon, 1 1/2 tsp oregano, cheese, parsley flakes, 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 teaspoons pepper, 1 tbs. olive oil.
- Spoon equal amounts of this mixture on steaks.
- Roll steak and tie with string, or secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in skillet and brown rolls.
- Transfer to oven proof casserole.
- Add tomatoes, onion powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- Simmer, covered (or bake in 350 degree oven) for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add water if necessary- Add wine and cook another 10 minute.
- Serve with pasta.