1/1 Photo of Braised Lamb Shanks With Fresh Rosemary
3 hrs 30 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
A wonderful blend of flavors- perfumes the whole house. Perfect for company, since it can be made the day before. Everyone raves about it! I've doubled and tripled the recipe with success. It's from a 1998 Bon Appetit and Baked Polenta With Garlic that I've posted goes well with this--spoon some of the veggies and sauce over the polenta. Wonderful !!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lamb shanks (I have also used leg of lamb, ask the butcher to cut it in 1 1/2 in. slices or use a cut-up boneless)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine (Sangiovese is good)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat oil in heavy, large pot over medium-high heat.
- 3Working in batches, add lamb to pot and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- 4Transfer to bowl.
- 5Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of oil from pan.
- 6Add onions, carrots, and garlic to pot and sauté till golden, about 10 minute.
- 7Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- 8Return lamb to pot, pressing down to submerge.
- 9Bring liquid to boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cover.
- 10Simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- 11Uncover pot; simmer till meat is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- 12(Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, cover, and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.) Transfer lamb to platter; tent with foil.
- 13Boil juices in pot till thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 14Season with salt and pepper and spoon over lamb.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Lamb Shanks With Fresh Rosemary
Serving Size: 1 (559 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 827.0
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 671.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 75.4 g