This is a method of preparing Lasagna which makes 6 dinners which can be frozen and re-heated in a crockpot.
- I cook a large package of hamburger (apx 5 lbs), drain.
- Place it back in the pan I cooked it in, (don't dirty another pan) and add tomato sauce and spices as you like it.
- In another large bowl, mix two large containers of cottage cheese, four eggs, and salt and pepper.
- A third bowl has a large quantity of shredded mozzarella.
- Open two packages of lasagna noodles, either no-bake or regular. I prefer the regular, they are thicker--he no bake kinda disappear in my lasagna because they are so thin.
- Place all the ingredient bowls and pans in a row on the counter.
- Then I take 6 (one gallon) ice cream buckets or similar container.
- Layer as follows: noodles, sauce, cheese and repeat til done.
- That is it! You end up with six lasagnas, and only 3 dirty pans.
- Freeze. Once solid, slip from the ice cream bucket, and place in gallon Ziploc bags., Now they go back in the freezer, taking up much less space. I use the ice cream bucket because it makes it the exact correct size and shape for my 5 quart crockpot. You may find another container that works better for you.
- When its lasagna eating day, just pop it in the crockpot on LOW, and let her go all day...come home, dinner is ready!
I put parmesan cheese in between each layer as well This was ok but not the best but as the icream box was a bit big for the crock pot and I think we like it done in the oven. But will give it another go with some changes. Will post the next time we do this. Thank you Jan
Easy-cheesy. I used my favorite marinara, and added some shredded mozarella to the top about a half-hour before serving (to melt). I used a 5-qt ice cream bucket that allowed the contents to fit perfectly in my 6-qt crock. I LOVE this concept so much, I have started collecting these buckets and freezing all my crock-ables in them. I also found the exact size containers to fit my little Crockette, so this could be made for one-serving sizes, too. THANK YOU for this terrific idea!
Loved this idea....and the simple ingredients were just what I wanted. I did make one fresh right in the crock and omitted eggs and it still worked great. Used canned spaghetti sauce... as I was using my crockpot for a hands off dinner. Tasted delicious and will make again! ...took 5 hrs since not frozen. thanks