1 hr 40 mins
This creamy pumpkin risotto makes a glorious light supper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 3 1/2 ounces butter, softened
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 10 1/2 ounces risotto rice
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, finely grated
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- toasted pumpkin seeds, to garnish
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Cut the squash into quarters and remove the seeds.
- 2Dice the flesh into 1in cubes and toss with rosemary and olive oil.
- 3Place in a roasting tin and roast for 20 minutes or so, until soft and slightly caramelised.
- 4Heat the chicken stock and keep warm.
- 5Melt half of the butter in a large frying pan over a low heat and fry the onion and celery for 15-20 minutes, until very soft.
- 6Remove the pan briefly from the heat, add the garlic and rice and stir until the grains are coated with butter.
- 7Return the pan to a high heat - add 2 ladlefuls of stock and simmer until the rice has absorbed it all, stirring all the time.
- 8Add the roasted squash to the rice and simmer until it softens and breaks up into the risotto.
- 9Repeat the process of adding the stock, 2 ladles at a time, until the rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid - this should take about 15 minutes.
- 10Stir in the remaining butter and Parmesan cheese. Stir and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and serve.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.4
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 75.6 mg
- Sodium 662.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 16.9 g