Cook1 hr 30 mins
Minestrone is a classic Italian dish that you will love! You must try this......the original way.
Make and share this Calamonicia Minestrone recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried kidney beans or 1 cup navy beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned tomato
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup diced raw potatoes
- 2 quarts soup stock
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti, cut into 1/2 inch pieces or 1 cup incooked rice
- Soak dried beans overnight.
- Pour oil into soup pot.
- Add garlic, onion, & vegetables.
- Cover pot & simmer 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add soaked beans, soup stock, & seasonings.
- Cover & simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Add spaghetti or rice, & simmer 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Made this more than once and it was so good for DH and I every time. I replaced the kidney/navy beans with red beans twice and used navy the other time. I added an extra garlic clove, and used very crushed canned tomatoes so there werent any tomato lumps. I added already cooked chunks of chicken thy/leg which added even more flavour. I used frozen green peas, which I added near the end of cooking time. I added canned brown type fava beans once, was good. I replaced the potatoes with some seeded chopped green zucchini each time (goes better with pasta). I used homemade chicken stock in a lesser quantity and I replaced the spaghetti/rice with rice shell pasta (gluten-free) too make it look nicer. I will definitely make this one again and again.
This is a thick and wonderful minestrone. I used a bit less stock and a bit more tomato, and I added some Italian seasonings and a splash of wine, but other than that, stuck to the recipe. Lots of flavor and great textures. My son told his little sister, "It's impossible not to like this soup." She took one bite, and even though she had eaten earlier in the evening, she asked for a bowl for herself. Thanks for posting!