This is the signature dish at Manhattan’s famed vegetarian restaurant Candle 79. It is bright & fresh and perfect for spring! Recipe was printed in "Vegetarian Times" when it won in their 2008 Restaurant Poll for the most requested recipe. The original recipe calls for the higher amounts of oil & margarine, but I found that a bit much and halved the amounts. If you can’t find (or make) seitan cutlets, use strips instead and serve over rice for a pretty presentation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cutlets seitan, rinsed and drained
- whole wheat flour (for dredging)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- caper berries (optional) or lemon slice, for garnish (optional)
- 1Dredge seitan cutlets in flour, shaking off excess.
- 2Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over high heat. Sauté cutlets in oil 30 seconds per side, or until crisp and golden brown. Remove seitan from skillet, and drain on paper-towel-lined plate.
- 3Add remaining olive oil to skillet, and return to high heat. Add shallots, onion, capers, and garlic, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Whisk in wine and lemon juice, and cook 3 to 5 minutes more.
- 4Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 1 minute to combine flavors. Whisk in parsley, margarine, salt, and pepper. Pour over seitan cutlets, garnish with large caper berries or lemon slices, and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Candle 79's Seitan Piccata
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.4
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 283.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth