Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the signature dish at Manhattan’s famed vegetarian restaurant Candle 79. It is bright & fresh and perfect for spring! Recipe was printed in "Vegetarian Times" when it won in their 2008 Restaurant Poll for the most requested recipe. The original recipe calls for the higher amounts of oil & margarine, but I found that a bit much and halved the amounts. If you can’t find (or make) seitan cutlets, use strips instead and serve over rice for a pretty presentation.
- 6 cutlets seitan, rinsed and drained
- whole wheat flour (for dredging)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- caper berries (optional) or lemon slice, for garnish (optional)
- Dredge seitan cutlets in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over high heat. Sauté cutlets in oil 30 seconds per side, or until crisp and golden brown. Remove seitan from skillet, and drain on paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet, and return to high heat. Add shallots, onion, capers, and garlic, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Whisk in wine and lemon juice, and cook 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 1 minute to combine flavors. Whisk in parsley, margarine, salt, and pepper. Pour over seitan cutlets, garnish with large caper berries or lemon slices, and serve.
I thought this was delicious! I also own the Candle 79 cookbook and this was the first recipe I made from it. So glad to see it posted here. I used Gardein "chik'n" cutlets in place of the seitan, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The sauce is light and flavorful. You're going to love it and you'll make it again when company is coming -- guaranteed!