1 hr 15 mins
Homegrown tomatoes, fresh mozzeralla, fresh herbs, Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar. It doesn't get any better than this. The addition of the red onions & sliced olives just seem to enhance the basic Caprese Salad Recipe. Great Lunch now that the tomatoes are in season and readily available. Have with some fresh french bread with some herb butter & something good to drink and "it's all good" :-) I got this recipe from All Recipes and tweaked it a bit. Posting here so I know where it is because it is the closest I have ever came to duplicating this dish the first time I had it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, only fresh will do
- 1/2 small red onion, Sliced Thin
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives, experiment with different kinds of olives and slice them yourself. Really adds a nice touch
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped I have also used Lemon Basil with good results
- 1/8 cup fresh oregano
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1Slice Mozzarella Cheese into small slices.
- 2Slice tomatoes thick. Be sure to remove all of the core and the bottom little black dot.
- 3Combine tomatoes and Cheese with the remaining ingredients.
- 4Toss Well and make sure everything is coated.
- 5Chill for 1 hour ( minimum), although you don't want to leave in the refrigerator too long -- you don't want it to become mushy.
- 6When ready to serve, arrange tomatoes on a large platter, put some of the cheese slices/chunks on each tomato slice.
- 7Work in olives and onions to make it pretty.
- 8Drizzel remaining dressing over this.
- 9Garnish with Fresh Basil Leaves and Oregano Leaves.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caprese Salad-Insalata Caprese
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.9
- Calories from Fat 409
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.5 mg
- Sodium 865.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 26.6 g