Cavatelli Con Pancetta e Cavolfiore - what a wonderful way to prepare cauliflower! I am always looking for different ways of cooking cauliflower, this turned out better than expected! From Lidia Bastianich web site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces sliced pancetta, cut into 1-inchsticks (about 1-1/2 cups - 1/4-inchslices)
- 1 lb dried cavatelli or 1 lb cavatappi pasta or 1 lb pasta shells
- 2 cups onions, diced (1/2-inch)
- 3 cups cauliflower, stalks removed, florets cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1/2 head)
- crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups hot chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumb (as needed)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pancetta has rendered some of its fat and is lightly browned but still soft in the center, about 4 minutes.
- 4Don’t overcook the pancetta.
- 5Stir the cavatelli into the boiling water.
- 6Return to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 7Cook the pasta, semi-covered, stirring occasionally, until done, about 10 minutes.
- 8Stir the onions into the skillet and cook until barely wilted, about 2 minutes.
- 9Stir in the cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is wilted and begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
- 10Season lightly with salt and a little crushed red pepper.
- 11Pour the chicken stock into the skillet, bring to a boil, and lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer.
- 12Cook until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is reduced by about one-half, about 5 minutes.
- 13If the skillet is large enough to accommodate the sauce and pasta, fish the pasta out of the boiling water with a large wire skimmer and drop it directly into the sauce in the skillet.
- 14If not, drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and pour in the sauce.
- 15Bring the sauce and pasta to a boil, tossing and stirring to coat the pasta.
- 16Check the seasoning, adding salt if necessary.
- 17Stir the bread crumbs, parsley, and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the pot.
- 18Cook, stirring and tossing the pasta, until the sauce is lightly thickened.
- 19Serve at once & enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cavatelli With Pancetta & Cauliflower
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.3
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 248.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: