Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This salad is rich and very filling and should be served as a main meal. The dressing makes about 1-1/2 cups but can easily be doubled. Plan ahead the dressing needs to chill for a couple of hours before using, prep time includes chilling time for the dressing. Feel free to add in other ingredients to the salad.
- 1 cup mayonnaise (do not use salad dressing)
- 1⁄3 cup bottled kraft Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces)
- 1 cup artichoke heart, cut into quarters (or to taste)
- 1 (6 ounce) can pitted ripe olives (use green or black)
- 5 firm roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb shredded provolone cheese (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- For the dressing; whisk all the ingredients together, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours before serving.
- For the salad; place the first 6 ingredients in a large glass bowl; toss to combine.
- Serve with dressing on the side.
A wonderfully flavorful salad dressing that is so easy to prepare, and would be great on any salad of your choosing. I didn't have Kraft dressing (I had a store brand Italian salad dressing) which seemed to work fine, and I was grateful for a way to put it to good use. I absolutely had to add the garlic to the dressing, which gave it a nice little punch. I made the salad as directed, also, and ended up with a salad that I would happily have eaten for my entire meal! Made for Best of 2012 Tag Game.
Delicious and beautiful salad. We loved this for dinner. Made for Naked Recipes.
The salad was very good but the dressing was just ok. I think using bottled dressing (Kraft Tuscan dressing) just gave it a "bottled" dressing taste. I would suggest starting with a homemade Italian dressing or probably just trying a different recipe altogether. (15)