Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This dish is quick and easy, it looks like a lot of work to the person who is eating it but it's not. I made it for a very picker eater and she enjoyed it as well. Hubby (DH) also really enjoys this one. The Chicken schnitzels breast should be pre coated with spices and bread crumbs but still raw. I normally buy the chicken schnitzels pre-made from our butcher. The pasta sauce I use is called Barilla Olive (my favourite), which has chunky bits of olives in it so it adds to the texture. I don't use the complete 400 grams of the pasta sauce. Cheese - you can use your favourite cheese, I sometimes use a little bit of Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese & Cheddar cheese (Also known as Tasty Cheese in Australia) but most times I normally use whatever cheese I have at home. As long as it can melt - Enjoy
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 4 chicken schnitzels, breast and pre-made
- 1 (400 g) jar pasta sauce (your favourite)
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated (your favourite)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Spray olive oil on a heated non-stick pan.
- Place chicken on pan and panfry the pre-made chicken schnitzels until both sides are golden brown.
- Once it is cooked place the cooked chicken schnitzel into an greased ovenproof dish and repeat steps until all the schnitzels are cooked.
- Spread your favourite pasta sauce individually on to the chicken. (Make sure you cover the entire top section of the chicken. I normally spread it thickly).
- Then sprinkle your chosen cheese on the chicken to cover the top of the chicken (Not to thick as it may melt over the pan).
- Garnish it lightly it with a sprinkle of dried or fresh parsley.
- Bake at 160 degrees celsius (320 fahrenheit) uncovered until cheese is melted and lightly browned (Between 20 to 30 minutes).
- Serve with a green salad or seasonal vegetables and garlic bread.
I also made my own chicken (sliced each breast half horizontally so I had two big pieces then soaked in one egg, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, a splash of milk to thin it out, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning for a few hours then shook off and dredged in toasted bread crumbs). I baked my breaded breasts in the oven on a baking rack placed over a pan for 25 minutes or so so that they'd stay crispy, but I'd avoid burning any bread crumbs. I finished as suggested and they were lovely. So easy and yummy!
Made for Aus/NZ Swap 51. This was the perfect meal to create just before the holidays. SO simple and yet tastes delicious. Everything done in less than 1 hour and on the table. Like I said perfect before a holiday when all the other holiday cooking and baking is happening. Like other reviewers stated, you can't get any easier than this for a home cooked in the oven meal. I used fresh chicken breasts that I cut in half to thin out as they were over 1 1/2 inches thick. Used sauce made fresh then frozen from the summer harvest and topped it with freshly grated mozzerella cheese. Served over penne pasta with a baguette. Dh and I ate by the fire as it was snowing here so again perfect for a comfort meal. I usually use my crockpot for chicken cacciotre but then that is a planned meal so this one is just perfect for the quick meal. I will keep this in my go to cookbook for many more meals to come especially those crazy days when it is a run run day. This is also a great stand by for when unexpected company comes and you need something fast and simple yet delightful. I always keep boneless chicken breasts and sauce handy, so a quick thaw and pop into the oven they go, dinner on the table in a flash. Thank you for this recipe which is a definite keeper!
Loved, Loved and Loved!!! This is sooooo simple with exceptional results my hubby and my son MMmmmmm'd their way through this. It tastes like you have spent ages making it but by cheating with the already prepared chicken and the jar of pasta sauce it takes no time at all. I topped ours with shaved parmesan cheese as that is what I had on hand which was really yummy, but next time I think I will do a mix of cheeses including some gruyere Yum. A real winner and one that I will definitely be making again it tastes fabulous, is quick and easy to make and is very budget friendly as well. I served ours on top of pasta with a side salad and garlic bread for a delicious meal. Thanks for sharing Chef floWer