1/1 Photo of Cherry Tomato and Feta Calzone
I know the last thing most of you want to do after you get home from work is make your own pizza dough but this recipe is easier than some casseroles to put together and the result is a golden and light filled pizza that looks and tastes wonderful. If you're not crazy over feta cheese, you can substitute mozzarella.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 225 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 g fast-rising active dry yeast
- 150 ml water
- 25 ml olive oil
For the filling
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 -6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 200 g cherry tomatoes (about 15)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 10 fresh basil leaves
- 100 g feta cheese (about 3/4 cup crumbled)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of milk
- 6 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- 2Stir in the salt and yeast, then the warm water and olive oil.
- 3Mix as best you can, either with your hands or with a dough hook attachment on your mixer, eventually forming into a ball.
- 4Dust a work surface with flour and knead the dough for several minutes, until smooth and springy.
- 5Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, while you prepare the filling.
- 6Heat the oil in a frying pan and soften the onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- 7Add the whole tomatoes, oregano, dried basil (if using) and chopped olives to the pan and cook for about five minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes are soft but whole.
- 8Remove from the heat.
- 9Take out the risen dough and break into four pieces.
- 10Roll out one section of the dough on a floured surface until you have a circle about 20cm across.
- 11It will be quite thin.
- 12Lay on an oiled baking sheet and brush a 2cm border with egg.
- 13Smear the rest of the dough with a spoonful of tomato sauce.
- 14Pile a quarter of the filling on one half, plus a bit of both cheeses, fresh basil (if using) and a grinding of pepper.
- 15Fold over the unfilled half, press the edges and seal with a fork.
- 16Brush the egg mixture over the top.
- 17Repeat with the remaining pieces and then bake for 15 minutes at 400F, until puffed and golden.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Tomato and Feta Calzone
Serving Size: 1 (1240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.7
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.1 mg
- Sodium 874.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 17.0 g