A version of this recipe was emailed to me. This is my modified version of 2 great dishes combined to make 1 fantastic meal.
- 4 crosswise slices eggplants, 1/2 inch thick, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 (4 ounce) chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup marinara sauce, warmed (I used Marinara Sauce / Spaghetti Sauce Via Bari, Italy.)
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a pie plate, whisk together the egg, egg white and water. In a second pie plate stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Dip the cut eggplant in the egg wash and then in bread crumbs, place on prepared baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes, turn and spray second side lightly with cooking spray. Return to oven and bake and additional 10 minutes or until done.
- While eggplant slices are baking, place the chicken breasts in a resealable bag with a teaspoon of water. Pound with a meat mallet to 1/4 inch thick.
- Dip the chicken into the remaining egg wash and then in bread crumbs. Allow crumb mixture to set for a few minutes while oil heats.
- Over medium heat add olive oil to a heavy skillet and warm. When warm place the chicken in the pan and cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, turn and cook other side for 4 minutes.
- To assemble, place 2 slices of eggplant on each plate, spoon a portion of sauce over all, top with chicken breast and remaining sauce. Grate freshly grated Parmesan cheese over all and serve.
I used crushed rice krispies and rice chex instead of breadcrumbs, and the difference was not noticed.
PaulaG, thank you for ANOTHER great recipe! Made as written, but used my own marinara sauce .... absolutely fantastic!