Prep 50 mins
Cook 45 mins
A family favorite! A pasta, like fettuccine, would be delicious alongside to benefit from the sauce.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into slivers
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into slivers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 12 pitted olives, sliced (I prefer black, but you could use green)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dry the chicken pieces on paper towels and season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the pieces to a baking dish as they are browned.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the onion, green and red peppers, and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat until they are soft but not brown. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms have wilted and are starting to brown. Stir in the olives, wine, tomatoes, and oregano. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes. The chicken is done when the juices run clear when the dark meat is poked with a small knife. Serve immediately.
i made this for a dinner party this weekend..what a hit!! already had a friend request the recipe... my dad always made this dish, but i never watched him in the kitchen...he must've made it this way, because it brought me back about 30 years!!!thanks for the memories!!