1 hr 35 mins
Alan in SW Florida's Note:
A family favorite! A pasta, like fettuccine, would be delicious alongside to benefit from the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into slivers
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into slivers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 12 pitted olives, sliced (I prefer black, but you could use green)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1Dry the chicken pieces on paper towels and season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- 2Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the pieces to a baking dish as they are browned.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4Add the onion, green and red peppers, and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat until they are soft but not brown. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms have wilted and are starting to brown. Stir in the olives, wine, tomatoes, and oregano. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- 5Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes. The chicken is done when the juices run clear when the dark meat is poked with a small knife. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (608 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 719.9
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 305.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 47.3 g