Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I needed an easy dish my children would eat, but sophisticated enough for adults.
Make and share this Chicken Cacciatore recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian olives, pitted and halved
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Brown chicken in olive oil in nonstick pan.
- Remove to crock pot.
- In same pan sauté onions for five to ten minutes until softened and add garlic.
- Place all ingredients in crock pot.
- Place on automatic time adjust (2-4 hours high, four hours slow).
- To thicken sauce if necessary remove cover off crockpot last 30 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti.
I don't own a crockpot, so I just made this in a large pot on the stove top, cooking it on low for about 1 hour. At step 3, I sauted the mushrooms, and I added a 1/2 cup of chicken stock along with the marsala. I would have preferred red wine to marsala, as it had a slightly sweet sickly aftertaste. Otherwise, a good recipe.