Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a fresh version of chicken parm that isn't as heavy as the classic. Goes great with steamed veggies for a lighter touch.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop Roma tomatoes into bite size pieces and put in a bowl. Tear or chiffonade basil and add to tomatoes, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Rinse and dry chicken. Slice each breast in half. Place each half between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper and pound with a meat mallet or heavy can to 1/4 inch in depth.
- Dredge each breast in flour and let dry on a rack for about 10 minutes. Re-dredge each piece in flour again and then dip in egg wash and then in bread crumbs. Let the chicken dry on a rack for another ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium high heat. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pan and when the oil is hot add chicken pieces a few at a time. Cook each side for 2 minutes and then transfer to a 9x13 baking dish. Continue cooking all pieces adding more oil if necessary. Place all chicken in baking dish, trying to have as little overlap as possible.
- Chop mozzarella into 3/4 inch cubes and sprinkle over chicken. Sprinkle tomato mixture over cheese and bake in oven for about 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.