I saw Rachael Ray prepare this on her television show as a special Valentine's Day dinner and it looks delicious. I am posting it here to try in the near future. It's lengthy, but it looks worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 -12 garlic cloves (finely chopped or grated and divided)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus additional as needed)
- 1 red bell pepper, core and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, core and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes
- 10 -12 basil leaves, torn
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Preheat oven to 250ºF.
- 2Place a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring it to a boil.
- 3Make a paste for the cutlets by placing about 8 finely chopped or grated garlic cloves into a bowl with a small pinch of salt.
- 4Using the back of a spoon, mash the salt and garlic together into a paste.
- 5Add in the rosemary and thyme, season the paste with freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- 6Flatten the chicken breasts into cutlets by butterflying each piece then placing them, one at a time, in a large zipper lock bag with small amount of water in it.
- 7Seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as you can.
- 8Pound out the chicken using a small cast iron skillet.
- 9As you finish each one, place them into a large plastic zipper bag or mixing bowl.
- 10Once all the breasts are pounded out, add the garlic paste to the bag or bowl and toss the chicken to coat.
- 11Marinate for about 10 minutes.
- 12While the chicken is marinating, set up three pans on the counter.
- 13In one pan, add the flour, some salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 14In the second pan, beat the eggs with a couple teaspoons of water.
- 15In the third, combine the breadcrumbs, parsley and a handful of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1/4 cup).
- 16Coat the cutlets by first tossing them in the seasoned flour, then dipping them in the beaten egg, then coating them in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing on each breast slightly to make sure everything sticks. Reserve the coated breasts on a plate.
- 17Place two large skillets over medium-high heat, each with two turns of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoons per pan.
- 18In one pan, cook the cutlets in batches until browned on each side and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.
- 19Keep the finished ones warm on a sheet pan in the warm oven.
- 20If necessary, add another tablespoon of oil to the pan between batches.
- 21In the other pan, cook the peppers, onion and remaining garlic until tender, 6-7 minutes. Season the veggies with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the chicken stock and tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon or potato masher.
- 22Simmer the sauce until thickened, 4-5 minutes.
- 23Once thickened, stir in the torn basil and keep warm over low heat.
- 24Once the sauce is about halfway done, drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook to al dente according to package directions. Drain the cooked pasta and return it to the pot it was cooked it along with the butter and remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 25Add about half of the prepared tomato sauce and toss everything together.
- 26To serve, divide the pasta between your plates accompanied by one chicken cutlet per person.
- 27Divide the remaining sauce between the four plates.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cutlets & Spaghetti With Peppers & Onions
Serving Size: 1 (723 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1141.3
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 202.0 mg
- Sodium 957.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 148.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 62.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: