1/1 Photo of Chicken Legs with Ricotta and Bacon Stuffing
1 hr 25 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
Chicken is every kitchen-staple and this recipe adds variety and flavour to cooking this popular meat. Deliciously served with assorted salads, mixed lettuce leaves or a mesculin mixture lightly coated with an extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sun dried tomato dressing. To complement, you may wish to prepare a drizzled herbed/olive oil and ricotta foccacia. Basic recipe from "Classic Essential Roasts, Hawthorne Press" and accompaniments from my own kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 chicken legs with thigh (drums and thighs attached)
- 1/2 ounce butter, melted
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped (rind romoved)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1TO MAKE THE STUFFING: Remove the rind from the bacon and chop finely.
- 2Fry in a dry pan until crisp.
- 3Remove cooked bacon and set aside.
- 4In the same pan, heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft.
- 5Put the ricotta, egg, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, chives, tarragon, bacon, onion, garlic and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- 6Mix together, lightly, to combine ingredients.
- 7PREHEAT OVEN TO MODERATE- 350 degrees F (180C/Gas mark 4).
- 8Using your fingers, ease the skin away from the thigh and leg of the chicken, being careful not to pierce the skin.
- 9Gently push the stuffing mixture evenly under the skin.
- 10Draw the skin back over the stuffing.
- 11Place the chicken in a lightly oiled, shallow roasting pan.
- 12Brush chicken with the melted butter.
- 13Roast for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- 14Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Legs with Ricotta and Bacon Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 554.5
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 205.6 mg
- Sodium 413.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 40.3 g