Chicken is every kitchen-staple and this recipe adds variety and flavour to cooking this popular meat. Deliciously served with assorted salads, mixed lettuce leaves or a mesculin mixture lightly coated with an extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sun dried tomato dressing. To complement, you may wish to prepare a drizzled herbed/olive oil and ricotta foccacia. Basic recipe from "Classic Essential Roasts, Hawthorne Press" and accompaniments from my own kitchen.
- 6 chicken legs with thigh (drums and thighs attached)
- 1⁄2 ounce butter, melted
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped (rind romoved)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- TO MAKE THE STUFFING: Remove the rind from the bacon and chop finely.
- Fry in a dry pan until crisp.
- Remove cooked bacon and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft.
- Put the ricotta, egg, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, chives, tarragon, bacon, onion, garlic and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Mix together, lightly, to combine ingredients.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO MODERATE- 350 degrees F (180C/Gas mark 4).
- Using your fingers, ease the skin away from the thigh and leg of the chicken, being careful not to pierce the skin.
- Gently push the stuffing mixture evenly under the skin.
- Draw the skin back over the stuffing.
- Place the chicken in a lightly oiled, shallow roasting pan.
- Brush chicken with the melted butter.
- Roast for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.