Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I came up with this recipe for my son's dinner tonight. (The rest of us were having a tomato based lasagne, which he doesn't eat.) I tried keeping this simple for his tastes, so feel free to add extra herbs or vegetables to suit your own tastes! :)
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 g chicken breasts, diced
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add chicken and onion, stirring until just cooked. Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and basil. Cook until mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
- Combine butter and flour, cook for 2 minutes. Gradually add flour, stirring continuously. When sauce starts to thicken, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and stir in cheese.
- Spread a thin layer of the chicken mixture in the bottom of a lasagne dish. Top with a layer of noodles.
- Add a layer of bechemal sauce, and another layer of noodles.
- Add remaining chicken, and a layer of noodles.
- Add remaining bechemal sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 180C for around 40 minutes, or until noodles are tender and cheese is starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes before serving.
Delicious! We really enjoyed this lasagna. It's great to have something a little different. I will make again!