Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From "Tyler's Ultimate," episode "Chicken Parmigiana."
Make and share this Chicken Parmigiana - Tyler Florence recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh basil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, hand-crushed
- 1 pinch sugar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti, cooked al dente
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 c olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, a large sprinkle of kosher salt and some black pepper and saute until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 1 minute. Add bay leaves, red pepper flakes and kalamata olives. Saute another 3-5 minutes, until onions begin to brown. Add basil, tomatoes and sugar. Stir well and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a wide, shallow dish, season flour with salt and pepper. In a second dish, whisk together eggs and milk with a pinch of salt and pepper. In a third dish, season bread crumbs with salt and pepper, and stir in Parmesan, parsley and garlic powder.
- Heat 1/4 c olive oil in a large skillet. Dip each chicken breast in the flour, coating both sides then shaking off excess. Dip in egg wash on both sides, allowing excess to drain off. Dip in bread crumbs, coating both sides well. When oil is hot, fry coated chicken breasts 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crusty.
- Spoon tomato sauce over chicken breasts. Top with sliced mozzarella and more Parmesan. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with spaghetti.