1 hr 5 mins
From italianfoodforever.com (adapted by me), the true name of this dish is "Pollo alla Scarpariello." This translates to "shoemaker's" style chicken, which consists of golden brown pieces of roasted chicken topped with a lemon sauce. This is one of my absolute favorite dishes, especially when paired with roasted garlic-rosemary potatoes. I wouldn't recommend this for a dinner party, unless you do ALL of the prep work ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (washed and patted dry)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 rosemary sprig, cut into 3-4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Mix together the flour and oregano. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour mixture.
- 3In a large, heavy, oven-proof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the chicken on both sides. Then remove the chicken to a plate.
- 4Pour off oven pan juices to leave 2 tbsp of juice (with brown bits) in the pan. Add the onion and cook until soft, then add the garlic.
- 5As soon as garlic starts to sizzle, add the wine and scrape the pan to release brown bits. Over medium heat, reduce the wine by half.
- 6Add the chicken stock and bring to a bowl over high heat. Once boiling, add the chicken pieces and the rosemary to the skillet. Spoon some pan juices over the chicken, and put the skillet in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- 7Just before cook time is over, mix the softened butter with the tablespoon of flour (to make a thickener).
- 8Remove skillet from oven, and move the chicken pieces from the skillet to a warmed platter. Bring the remaining sauce to a boil.
- 9Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Then add the flour-butter mixture plus the remaining two tablespoons butter. Remove rosemary and whisk the mixture until the flour-mixture is dissolved (no lumps).
- 10Once the sauce thickens, stir in the parsley, and pour the sauce over the chicken on the platter. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Scarpariello
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: