Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
"Fuggeddaboutit!" A favorite dish of the wiseguys. Make this for dinner and, ba-da-bing, you're ready for an evening with the Sopranos. This is one of my all-time favorite Italian-American chicken recipes. Be sure to serve some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into small serving pieces
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut in 1-inch pieces (sweet or hot or both)
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and crushed
- 6 hot cherry peppers, sliced (bottled in vinegar)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 cup chicken broth (canned or fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- In a skillet, heat oil. Add chicken and sausage in batches; brown on all sides. removing pieces to a plate as they brown.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pan. To hot drippings, add the mushrooms, red bell peppers, sliced cherry peppers, onion, potatoes, and garlic; saute until tender.
- Return chicken and sausage to skillet. Add salt, black pepper, the rosemary , the broth, the wine, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken and sausage from skillet; arrange on warm serving platter.
- Skim fat from mixture in skillet.
- In a small glass measure, mix flour with 1/4 cup water until blended. Stir into liquid in skillet. bring to boiling, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and sausage.
I really really like this as did my hubby. Nice kick to it. I also used Red potato instead of bakng potato
Love the flavors! Tweaked it to what i had on hand- boneless chix beeast and some fingerling red and white potatoes cut to bite sized. I did not add the thickening as I let it sit at simmer for longer and it reduced nicely but left enough for sopping up with crusty bread. Kids loved it, too!
excellent dish... made it last week and ate all of the leftovers. i halved some baby red potatoes in place for the one large potato.... flavor were excellent.