Rich, creamy and packed with chunks of chicken, wild and white mushrooms. If out of time, purchase a roasted chicken from the supermarkets.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 lb wide egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stems removed and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into large chunks
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in broth, cream, ¼ tsp each salt and pepper, and pinch of nutmeg until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly and set aside.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until barely tender about 8 minutes.
- Drain and place in bowl.
- Stir in 1½ cups prepared sauce.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and cook stirring 1 minute.
- Add shitake and white mushrooms, thyme, remaining ½ tsp salt and pepper and pinch of nutmeg.
- Cook stirring, until mushrooms are tender and liquid has evaporated about 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and boil for 1 more minute.
- Spoon half of noodles with ½ cup peas in shallow 2½-quart baking dish.
- Top with half of chicken the half of mushroom mixture.
- Repeat layering with remaining noodles, peas chicken and mushrooms.
- Pour remaining sauce evenly over top and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden and bubbly.