Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love Ziti, and found this on the web to add a chicken twist to the mix!! Feel free to add more cheese -- I know I do :) Easy to tweak -- try adding veggies, or even using different pasta if your family doesn't like the tube pasta. (FYI -- this recipe does call for layering, but one of the best things I have found with Ziti recipes is that you can mix everything together and throw in the pan, and that works even better sometimes!).
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 cups ziti pasta or 2 cups penne pasta
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat. Add chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned, or about 5-6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring as needed, until the mixture is thickened slightly, 8 - 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ziti according to package directions. Drain and mix with ricotta cheese.
- Pour half of tomato mix into a 13x9" baking pan, layer with ziti mixture, chicken and remaining tomato mixture. Sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake until hot and bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Suggestion -- if short on time, precooked chicken strips can be used and work just fine!
I made almost as written. The only difference was that I used a whole pound of chicken. My husband would scream, "where's the meat", if I did not add more. The next time I make this I'll put it in the next smaller baking dish. I think my 10x8 would work better. Also I'll add the cheese the last 5 minutes of baking time. Made for ZWT7- Italy
I was in a hurry and didn't take time to layer the ingredients. I just combined everything together in a bowl and them put it in a casserole dish to bake. The whole family loved this recipe and said I definitely need to make it again soon. The flavor was really good and I love that the recipe came together so quickly. Made for Count Dracula and his Hot Bites, ZWT 7.