Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes for a delicious and easy appetizer. The mushrooms are marinated in a tangy blend of Italian flavors like garlic, basil, oregano, and red wine vinegar. Serve it to your guests cold or at room temperature.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed flat
- snipped flat-leaf Italian parsley (garnish)
- Combine all ingredients, EXCEPT MUSHROOMS AND PARSLEY, in a large zip top plastic bag; seal bag and shake well.
- Add the mushrooms to the marinade; seal bag and turn over several times.
- Refrigerate NO LONGER than 2 hours.
- Drain mushrooms and sprinkle with snipped parsley.
These are remarkably good. Other than using sliced mushrooms, I used all ingredients as written, including a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes. We often have grilled or roasted meats on raw greens, and this as a side adds a whole other dimension of flavors to the plate. Thanks.
A wonderful and clever recipe that we both enjoyed with baguette and a glass of wine last night. I did not add the chili flakes, as my husband is not a chili lover, but I don't think I would in the future anyway, as the citrus and herbs was more than enough on the flavour front! My mushrooms made a lot of water, which made the dish a little wet - however, the flavour was still wonderful. I garnished this with fresh thyme stems. Made for PAC Autumn 2009 - merci encore. FT:-)