originally from "Sunset" magazine
Make and share this Chocolate Biscotti II recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped, walnuts or almonds
- 12 ounces white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Add melted unsweetened chocolate, eggs, oil, juice, rum, peel and vanilla; stir to combine. Add baking chips and nuts; mix until dough is well blended.
- Quarter dough; shape into 4 logs, each about 2 1/ 2" wide by 14" long.
- Place 2 logs on each of 2 lightly oiled (10x15") baking pans.
- Bake logs at 350 degrees just until firm to touch, about 20 min.
- Cool logs slightly in pans; using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1/2" wide slices.
- Place slices cut side down on pans; bake until crisp, about 15 min. more.
- Cool cookies.
- Meanwhile, in a double boiler, melt white chocolate and shortening over hot water, stirring until smoot h (or heat in a nonmetal bowl in a micro oven on 100 percent power for 15 sec. at a time, stirring after each interval, until soft and smooth, about 1 1/2 min.total). Dip 1 end of each cookie about 1" into white chocolate to coat. Lay cookies on wire racks until firm; chill to speed process.
- Serve, or wrap airtight to store up to 2 days; freeze for longer storage.