1/1 Photo of Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
1 hr 30 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
Biscotti is used to describe a long, dry, hard twice baked cookie with a curved top and a flat bottom designed for dunking into wine or coffee. The name biscotti is derived from 'bis' meaning twice in Italian and 'cotto' meaning baked or cooked. These are very nice glazed or dipped in white chocolate. Enjoy. Don't let all the steps bother you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably dutch process
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup hazelnuts (toasted and coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate, cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2To toast hazelnuts: spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and the skins begin to flake.
- 3Remove from oven and place nuts in a dish- towel.
- 4Roll up and let nuts 'steam' for 5 minutes and briskly rub the towel (with nuts inside) to remove the skins from the nuts.
- 5Cool and then chop coarsely.
- 6Set aside while you prepare dough.
- 7Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- 8Line a large baking sheet (12 x 17) with parchment paper.
- 9In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the coarsely chopped chocolate and brown sugar and process until the chocolate is very fine; set aside.
- 10Sift or whisk together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- 11In bowl of electric mixer combine the eggs and vanilla and beat to blend, about 30 seconds.
- 12On Low speed mix in the chocolate/sugar and flour mixtures until a stiff dough forms, adding the hazelnuts and white chocolate (if using) when about half mixed.
- 13On a floured surface divide the dough in half.
- 14Form each half into a log, 12 inches long.
- 15Do this by rolling the dough back forth into a cylinder shape with floured hands.
- 16Transfer the logs to the baking sheet, spacing then well apart (with-wise on the pan) Pat to even the shapes.
- 17Bake until firm to the touch about 40 minutes (logs will spread during baking).
- 18Remove from oven, place on wire rack, let cool for 10 minutes.
- 19Using a long spatula transfer the logs to a cutting board.
- 20With a serrated knife cut the dough into 3/4 inch thick slices on the diagonal.
- 21Arrange the slices on the baking sheet.
- 22Bake 20 minutes at 300°F, turn the slices over and bake until crisp and dry, about 20 minutes longer.
- 23Let cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (970 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.9
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 90.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 3.4 g