1 hr 5 mins
I had this at the Keg restaurant in Toronto....this is the way I prefer my tiramisu with chocolate cake...Of course you could always use a cake mix if time is short...in place of the chiffon cake...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs, seperated
- 2 extra egg whites
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 24 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 12 ounces milk chocolate, chopped melted and cooled
- 8 whole eggs, seperated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1Methods-- Syrup.
- 2Place all syrup ingredients into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 3Remove from the heat and let cool-- Set aside.
- 4In a bowl over simmering hot water melt the chopped milk choolate -- remove .and set aside to cool.
- 6In large mixer bowl, beat mascarpone until fluffy.
- 7In a large bowl over simmering hot water, whisk egg yolks, with 1/4 cup of the sugar-- until when touched with finger it is warm to hot to the touch and has slightly doubled and pale yellow-- whisking continually Remove the yolks from heat and add into the mascarpone mixture.
- 8On low speed add the cooled chocolate-- and mix well.
- 9In large mixer bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- 10Add the last of the sugar and beat until firm peaks.
- 11Finally fold the mascarpone/chocolate mixture into the egg whites, and combine add the Kahlua and rum.
- 12Refrigerate, until cakes are cooled and need assembly-- Cakes-- Sift the one cup of the sugar with the flour, baking powder, soda and salt, and cocoa.
- 13set aside.
- 14Beat the egg yolks with electric mixer on high speed two minutes until thick and pale yellow.
- 15On a lower speed pour in the oil, and vanilla and water.
- 16Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients then turn up speed for a few turns to mix well.
- 17Set aside.
- 18Beat egg white with the last 1/2 cup sugar until shiny soft peaks.
- 19Fold whites into the batter.
- 20Pour into greased and floured 9 inch pans (2) Bake until tester comes away clean and cake starts to pull away from sides of pan-- 350 degrees.
- 21Remove and cool on rack-- Method of assembling cake-- Using a 9 inch spring form cake tin.
- 22Cut cakes into four layers, (can leave into two if desired, but I like thinner layers--) place one layer into spring form pan, fitting-- brush syrup cooled mixture over first layer-- DO NOT SATURATE or MAKE SOGGY-- just a small amount to soak in is needed-- Spread a layer of chocolate cream over.
- 23Place next layer of cake,.
- 24brush with syrup-- spread layer of cream.
- 25Do this until all layers are used topping with the last layer of cake and brushing with syrup.
- 26Note;; if you have filling left, can place this over top-- or leave top as a cake layer-- and then cover with fresh whipped cream when serving-- and sprinkle with cocoa powder and grated milk chocolate-- Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours before serving--.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Tiramisu 1996 Canadian Italian Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 632.1
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 218.0 mg
- Sodium 280.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 68.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: