Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This two-fisted sandwich boasts a variety of colors and flavors. Like red, plump tomatoes; fresh basil and mozzarella; red onions and green peppers; salami, ham and capacolla - drizzled with homemade Italian vinaigrette. These classic Italian flavors make a great combination for this well-loved Italian American sandwich. Chips or a scoop of potato salad and a piece of seasonal fruit make this a delicious, satisfying meal.
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved lengthwise
- mayonnaise, to taste
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 large plump beef steak tomatoes, sliced thin
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, sliced thin and separated into rings
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced into thin rings
- 10 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
1/2 pound each (sliced thin at the deli counter)
- hard salami, baked ham, capacolla
- italian vinaigrette (Recipe Below)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Spread desired amount of mayonnaise on each ciabatta's top and bottom.
- Layer the ciabatta bottoms with shredded lettuce, salt and peppered tomato slices, onion and pepper rings, mozzarella, basil leaves, the deli meats, and sliced olives. (NOTE: You can mix-up the order of these ingredients to your liking.)
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Cover with the ciabatta tops.
- Cut the ciabatta sandwiches in half on the diagonal and wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Take a few books and set on top of the sandwiches to weigh them down and soak in the vinaigrette.
- Unwrap and enjoy!
- ITALIAN VINAIGRETTE: 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 6 (2-tablespoon) servings. Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Loved this! It was a great blend of flavors. I omitted the salt and olives (personal preference). Thanks for sharing!
Excellent flavor combination. I made just a couple of changes to suit our taste and this is one of those recipes that has endless possibilities. I used a red pepper, which I had and provolone cheese instead of the mozzarella, which was what I had and left off the black olives and mayo. Used only the Italian vinaigrette, which was excellent and really complimented the flavors. I also could not find the Italian spiced ham, so used smoked turkey. I served this on Italian Ciabatta which was excellent and some Kittencal's Best Deviled Eggs on the side. This will be made again and again. Can't wait till the fresh tomatoes start coming in. Thanks for sharing. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag Game.