This two-fisted sandwich boasts a variety of colors and flavors. Like red, plump tomatoes; fresh basil and mozzarella; red onions and green peppers; salami, ham and capacolla - drizzled with homemade Italian vinaigrette. These classic Italian flavors make a great combination for this well-loved Italian American sandwich. Chips or a scoop of potato salad and a piece of seasonal fruit make this a delicious, satisfying meal.
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved lengthwise
- mayonnaise, to taste
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 large plump beef steak tomato, sliced thin
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, sliced thin and separated into rings
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced into thin rings
- 10 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
1/2 pound each (sliced thin at the deli counter)
- hard salami, baked ham, capacolla
- italian vinaigrette (Recipe Below)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Spread desired amount of mayonnaise on each ciabatta's top and bottom.
- Layer the ciabatta bottoms with shredded lettuce, salt and peppered tomato slices, onion and pepper rings, mozzarella, basil leaves, the deli meats, and sliced olives. (NOTE: You can mix-up the order of these ingredients to your liking.)
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Cover with the ciabatta tops.
- Cut the ciabatta sandwiches in half on the diagonal and wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Take a few books and set on top of the sandwiches to weigh them down and soak in the vinaigrette.
- Unwrap and enjoy!
- ITALIAN VINAIGRETTE: 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 6 (2-tablespoon) servings. Prep Time: 5 minutes.