Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Provided by: www.cookiesfromitaly.com
Make and share this Clams Oreganata recipe from Food.com.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole plum tomatoes, drained, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 3 lbs very small clams (1-inch, scrubbed well)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- Cook garlic in oil in a deep 4 to 6 quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1 tablespoon oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Add clams, stirring well to coat, then cover pot tightly and increase heat to moderately high. Cook, stirring once, until clams open, 5 to 7 minutes. (Discard any clams that have not opened after 7 minutes.)
- While clams are cooking, toss together bread crumbs, zest, and remaining tablespoon oregano. Divide clams and pan juices among clam shells, then sprinkle with bread crumbs. Serve immediately. Serves 8.
- Note: Larger hard-shelled clams such as littlenecks (2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter) can be used, but cooking time will increase to 8 to 10 minutes.
- That's it!
While searching for new Italian dishes this Christmas Eve I came across your Lobster Ravioli, I then took a look at all your recipes and the only thing I can say it WOW! Your recipes remind me of Sundays at Grandma's. These clams came out perfect for Dinner tonight! Thanks for making my X-mas eve even more special! My family will be in Heavan. I can see that I will be trying your recipes ALOT!...Thanks again! Italianmomof2