1/1 Photo of Classic Bolognese Meat Sauce (bolognaise)
3 hrs 45 mins
Little Sand Fairy's Note:
I found this in an Italian cookbook by Marcella Hazan. Its a lovely rich sauce. Its the traditional recipe for Bolognese sauce which can be served with Tagliatelle, rigatoni, conchiglie or fusilli but is never served with Spagetti in Italy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, chopped
- 2/3 cup carrot, chopped
- 3/4 lb ground beef (preferably chuck and not too lean)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (canned Italian)
- 1 1/4 lbs pasta (fresh weight NOT DRIED)
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1Put the oil, 3 tbsp butter and chopped onion in the pot, turn the heat to medium and cook, stirring the onion until it becomes translucent.
- 2Add the celery and carrot and stir for two minutes while cooking to coat them well.
- 3Add the ground beef, a large pinch of salt and a few grindings of black pepper.
- 4Cook the beef while crumbling it with a fork until the beef has lost its red colour.
- 5Add the milk and let it simmer gently, stirring frequently until the milk has completely bubbled away.
- 6Add the nutmeg.
- 7Add the wine and let it simmer until it has evaporated.
- 8Add the tomatoes and stir well. When the tomatoes start to bubble turn the heat down so that it is just simmering with the occasional bubble breaking the surface.
- 9Cook uncovered for 3 hours, stirring from time to time. While it is cooking you will find the sauce dries out so continue to add a 1/2 cup of water when necessary to stop it sticking. However there should not be water left at the end of the 3 hours. The fat will separate from the sauce and this should happen.
- 10Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and toss with the pasta and rest of butter. Serve with parmesan on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Bolognese Meat Sauce (bolognaise)
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 960.8
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 227.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 37.6 g