Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Conchiglioni are large pasta shells which are great for chunky sauces as it gets trapped inside! If you prefer you can use another chunky pasta shape - rigatoni would equally work well. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.
- 12 ounces jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta shells in boiling salted water for 15 mins or according to packet instructions. Drain, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan, add the mushrooms and sauté over high heat for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally until nicely browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, add the beef, onion and garlic and cook over a high heat for 5 mins until browned. Add the red wine, tomato paste, oregano and plenty of seasoning then bring to the boil, stirring well. Simmer for 4 mins or until reduced. Add the half and half and mushrooms and simmer for a further 5 mins until nicely reduced.
- Spoon the beef over the pasta shells, then stir well so that it fills the pasta. Scatter over the cheeses and pop under a hot broiler. Cook for 3 mins or until the top is golden brown. Serve straight away.