I tried to copy a wonderful dish I had at a small local Italian restaurant and this one turned out WONDERFUL (for a lot less money too!) The flavors are excellent and it's a totally new way to use up leftover ham. The crispy ham reminds me of pancetta. This is a very forgiving recipe and many different vegetables can be added to your liking, try sauteed zucchini with the peas, or mushrooms, broccoli, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup peas, frozen petite
- 1 1/2 cups ham, chopped small
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, chopped (or more!)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, lite is wonderful in this
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh pepper (to taste)
- 1Bring large pot of water to boil and add pasta, cooking to al dente.
- 2Add peas last 2-3 minutes to pasta.
- 3Scoop out 1 cup pasta water, then drain, and place in a large serving dish.
- 4Whisk flour into milk (or shake together in a jar) till mixed well.
- 5In skillet, pour olive oil in and add ham, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until ham is crispy. Remove to paper towel to drain.
- 6In sauce pan, melt butter (or use more olive oil) and saute garlic over medium low for about 2-3 minutes (if you love garlic, feel free to add more!).
- 7Whisk in milk/flour mixture and add chipped cream cheese, whisking till melted into sauce smoothly. Add Parmesan cheese and whisk till incorporated.
- 8In large dish with pasta and peas, toss in crispy ham, and any other vegetables you want (optional).
- 9Pour sauce over pasta and mix, pouring in pasta water till nice and creamy.
- 10Top with more parmesan and fresh ground pepper.
- 11serve immediately with tossed salad and garlic bread. YUM!
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Penne Pasta With Ham and Peas
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.7
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 83.6 mg
- Sodium 1227.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 23.3 g