Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From America's Test Kitchen episode 905, "Perfecting Pasta Sauces." Works best with short tubular pasta like ziti, penne or rigatoni.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce prosciutto, minced fine (about 2 tbsp minced)
- 1 medium onion, minced fine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add prosciutto, onion, bay leaf, red pepper flake and salt to pan; saute until onion softens, 8-12 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add tomato paste and sundried tomatoes. Saute until tomato paste deepens in color, 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with white wine; scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer gently 25-30 minutes.
- Add cream, remaining crushed tomatoes, remaining white wine, basil, salt and pepper. Stir well and serve over pasta immediately.
Taste was pretty good, although I would use a little less sun dried tomatos next time. Also it was soo thick that I had to had 4 large serving spoons of chix broth during cooking. After finishing.. was still too thick. I will think about adding more broth next time to thin the whole mix out.