Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From America's Test Kitchen episode 905, "Perfecting Pasta Sauces." Works best with short tubular pasta like ziti, penne or rigatoni.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce prosciutto, minced fine (about 2 tbsp minced)
- 1 medium onion, minced fine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add prosciutto, onion, bay leaf, red pepper flake and salt to pan; saute until onion softens, 8-12 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add tomato paste and sundried tomatoes. Saute until tomato paste deepens in color, 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with white wine; scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer gently 25-30 minutes.
- Add cream, remaining crushed tomatoes, remaining white wine, basil, salt and pepper. Stir well and serve over pasta immediately.
Taste was pretty good, although I would use a little less sun dried tomatos next time. Also it was soo thick that I had to had 4 large serving spoons of chix broth during cooking. After finishing.. was still too thick. I will think about adding more broth next time to thin the whole mix out.