Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a recipe I devised when I had a craving for an antipasto salad, but wanted a different spin on the dressing. Oh man, did I love the result. I served it during an outdoor bbq and it went over big! It's a simple salad with a big flavor. I hope you enjoy.
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 3⁄4 lb thick-sliced salami, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, cubed (Or, I like and use the bag of crumbled mozzarella)
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmans here)
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce (I prefer Classico here)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions - drain.
- Combine pesto and mayo, salt and pepper.
- Add the mayo mixture to the warm pasta.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, toss well.
- *I prefer serving this at room temperature (don't leave it out too long though, because of the mayo!) It's also good straight from the refrigerator.
Wow - this was genius! I made this exactly as posted, except I used whole black olives. I also used fresh mozzarella baby pearls, grape tomatoes and hard salami (which I thought would be easier to cube). The pesto adds so much flavor, and elevates this from good to great! I will definitely be making this again! Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
I made this for a quick lunch for DH and I before he went to work. DH isn't a big fan of pesto, but I thought I'd be able to get by since it was in a pasta salad! He loved it! I used cubed feta, beef summer sausage and added large green olives. Yummy! I'll make this again! I might try it with chicken breast next time... Thanks LIG! Made for KK Chef's Pick Tag
Loved this recipe. The flavors all went together so well and it was so easy to make. I made this for both of my jobs potlucks. It made such a big amount I divided it in half and was enjoyed by lots of people. I even got recipe requests. Made for 2014 Favorites.