Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
My mom's recipe, it is LOVED by all! You can also add browned hamburger to the sauce to make it meatier!
- Simmer the pasta sauce and sausage in a small saucepan on the lowest heat possible for simmering.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, whip together ricotta, mushroom, egg, and parsley in a medium bowl.
- When pasta is done, drain.
- In a 9 by 9-ish deep casserole, spread about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce/sausage mixture.
- Layer on half of the ziti.
- Put about 5 or 6 evenly spaced spoonfulls of ricotta on top of the ziti.
- put on half remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella on the sauce.
- Layer on remaining ziti.
- Put remaining ricotta on as directed above.
- Put on the rest of the sauce, and top off with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, or until cheese is browned and casserole is heated through.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving, if you can!
I modified this recipe based on what ingredients I had, and it was delish! Instead of ziti, I used campanelle, and instead of sausage, I used shredded chicken. I also changed it to half ricotta and half sour cream and added sauteed spinach. Thank you for sharing.
Quick and easy to make and clean up. I used the mild Italian sausage and it was delicious. I also served a salmon pesto with it and with 10 people and there was just enough left over for 2 of us to enjoy for lunch the next day!
Very, very good - my friend served this to us (I turned her on to Recipezaar) and used turkey sausage and also some browned ground chicken and it was very filling and tasty. Served it with a salad and some garlic bread - great meal!