1/2 Photos of Diet Friendly Veggie Overload Lasagna
1 hr 25 mins
Chef Buggsy Mate's Note:
I came up with this recipe because I wanted to be able to enjoy lasagna but I didn't want all the calories, carbs and fat usually associated with it. It is loaded with so much flavor that you don't miss the extra pasta and cheese! Serve it with a big tossed salad and you have a very healthy meal that is waistline friendly...it is also a great way to get some extra veggies into the kids diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 4 lasagna noodles (I used the no boil type by Barilla)
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup broccoli floret, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet bell pepper (I used orange and yellow combined)
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese
- if you like a bit of spice you can sprinkle the layers of pasta sauce with crushed red pepper flakes
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Pour enough sauce to cover the bottom of an 8x8" baking dish; about 1/3 of the jar.
- 3Sprinkle grated carrot and chopped onion over sauce in bottom of dish.
- 4Top sauce with two of the Barilla noodles.
- 5Layer the slices of zucchini, summer squash, and mushrooms and spinach over the noodles.
- 6Sprinkle the broccoli, bell pepper, fresh basil and sliced olives over the spinach leaves.
- 7Top with half cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- 8Pour 1/2 of the remaining sauce over the mozzarella cheese and top with the last two lasagna noodles.
- 9Pour the last of the pasta sauce over the top noodles and spread out evenly.
- 10Top with the the last of the mozzarella cheese.
- 11Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- 12Remove foil and continue to bake an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diet Friendly Veggie Overload Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.4
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 96.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomato and basil pasta sauce
lowfat mozzarella cheese