I came up with this recipe because I wanted to be able to enjoy lasagna but I didn't want all the calories, carbs and fat usually associated with it. It is loaded with so much flavor that you don't miss the extra pasta and cheese! Serve it with a big tossed salad and you have a very healthy meal that is waistline friendly...it is also a great way to get some extra veggies into the kids diet.
- 1 (16 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 4 lasagna noodles (I used the no boil type by Barilla)
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup broccoli floret, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet bell pepper (I used orange and yellow combined)
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese
- if you like a bit of spice you can sprinkle the layers of pasta sauce with crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour enough sauce to cover the bottom of an 8x8" baking dish; about 1/3 of the jar.
- Sprinkle grated carrot and chopped onion over sauce in bottom of dish.
- Top sauce with two of the Barilla noodles.
- Layer the slices of zucchini, summer squash, and mushrooms and spinach over the noodles.
- Sprinkle the broccoli, bell pepper, fresh basil and sliced olives over the spinach leaves.
- Top with half cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour 1/2 of the remaining sauce over the mozzarella cheese and top with the last two lasagna noodles.
- Pour the last of the pasta sauce over the top noodles and spread out evenly.
- Top with the the last of the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.