Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Dom DeLuise, who passed away on May 4, 2009, was not only a great comedian. He was also an excellent cook. Here is one of his recipes. You can use any kind of Italian sausage you prefer. Be sure not to cover the pan, or the vegetables will be steamed. Serve with hot Italian bread.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large onions, cut in slivers
- 3 sweet red peppers, seeded and cut in strips
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut in strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- Pierce each sausage in several places and place in a heavy frying pan with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until well-browned.
- While sausages are cooking, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the garlic and onion.
- Stir in peppers and oregano and cook until onions are lightly browned and the peppers are tender.
Made this delightful sandwich (served on hogie rolls). Love the peppers and onions (of course), but the addition of oregano to the Italian sausage and veggies put it above the norm. Thanks for sharing a family fav. Made for Suitcase Gourmets - Culinary Quest 2014.
This was so simple and delicious! I was using low fat (read low flavour) Sweet Italian sausages so upped the oregano. It was perfect! I served it with fried potatoes for a quick, easy tasty meal. Thanks for posting. Made for Culinary Quest 2014
We really enjoyed this lovely recipe. It was quick and easy to make with excellent results. Put ours into submarine buns for wonderful sandwiches. The sausage was perfectly cooked and the sweet peppers and onion were the bomb, tender and delicious. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest 2014 - Family Picks - Suitcase Gourmets.