Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my favorite and most comforting things to make is homemade spaghetti sauce. I have been tinkering with my sauce for years now and I think I have perfected it. This sauce is perfect by itself, great with meatballs and delicious over pasta. It can be frozen and defrosted for a quick, weeknight meal. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped mushrooms or 1⁄2 cup grated zucchini (optional) or 1⁄2 cup carrots or 1⁄2 cup green peppers (optional) or 1⁄2 cup red pepper (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 cups water or 2 -3 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (can sub. 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup a good dry red wine
- Heat EVOO in pot over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes and move pot to distribute the oil evenly for 1 minute.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add any extra veggies or continue on to step 6.
- Add the next 11 ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Let sauce come to a boil and stir in the red wine.
- Lower heat and allow to simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Make sure to stir every 15-20 minutes to prevent the sauce from burning on the bottom of the pan.
- OPTIONAL: Can add uncooked meatballs to simmering sauce, just make sure to simmer for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
- Enjoy :).