2 hrs 20 mins
One of my favorite and most comforting things to make is homemade spaghetti sauce. I have been tinkering with my sauce for years now and I think I have perfected it. This sauce is perfect by itself, great with meatballs and delicious over pasta. It can be frozen and defrosted for a quick, weeknight meal. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms or 1/2 cup grated zucchini (optional) or 1/2 cup carrots or 1/2 cup green peppers (optional) or 1/2 cup red pepper (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 cups water or 2 -3 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (can sub. 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup a good dry red wine
- 1Heat EVOO in pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Sprinkle red pepper flakes and move pot to distribute the oil evenly for 1 minute.
- 3Add onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- 4Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- 5Add any extra veggies or continue on to step 6.
- 6Add the next 11 ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- 7Let sauce come to a boil and stir in the red wine.
- 8Lower heat and allow to simmer for 1-2 hours.
- 9Make sure to stir every 15-20 minutes to prevent the sauce from burning on the bottom of the pan.
- 10OPTIONAL: Can add uncooked meatballs to simmering sauce, just make sure to simmer for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
- 11Enjoy :).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drink from the Bowl Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.6
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 797.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: