Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Ready in about an hour, this baked penne dish is full of delcious ingredients (made with low-calorie/light options) that the whole family will love. I adapted this recipe from a recipe I found in a church cookbook.
- 1 (16 ounce) boxmulti-grain penne pasta
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) packageof reduced fat provolone cheese, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) packageof grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, ground beef, oregano and red pepper in oil until tender.
- Add spaghetti sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix ricotta cheese and sour cream together in separate bowl. Set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In the prepared dish, layer 1/2 of the cooked pasta, provolone cheese, sour cream/ricotta mix, and a little less than 1/2 of the meat mixture. Top with layer of mozzarella cheese. Repeat, ending with remaining grated mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 10 minutes, until cheese is slightly browned on top and pasta is bubbing.