Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from the January 2009 issue of "recipes +" magazine.
Make and share this Egg Calzone recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 100 g shaved ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat tasty cheese, shredded
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 210C/190C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Combine yeast, sugar and 1 cup LUKEWARM water, in a large jug. Using a fork, stir. Cover, then let stand in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Sift flour and salt into large bowl. Add yeast mixture and oil. Mix to combine. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 4 portions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over moderate heat. Crack eggs into pan; cook for 1 minute or until just cooked underneath.
- For each calzone, roll a portion of dough into a 20cm round. Spread with paste; top with ham, egg, cheese, onion and parsley. Lightly brush edges with water, fold rounds in half to enclose filling. using a fork, press edges together to seal. Place on prepared trays. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
A little bit more effort than I'd expected, but I'm usually up to trying new things, so this recipe fit right in there ~ Thanks for a very nice baking experience as well as a wonderful tasting lunch! This is definitely a recipe I'll be keeping around! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]